Students must be participating in a formal, academic-credit granting Study Abroad program sponsored by the University of Iowa, another U.S. university, exchange organization, or may enroll directly in a foreign university.
Details About University of Lowa
The University of Iowa is a public research university in Iowa City, Iowa. Founded in 1847, it is the oldest and the second largest university in the state. The University of Iowa is organized into 11 colleges offering more than 200 areas of study and seven professional degrees.
International students who are currently enrolled at the University of Iowa are encouraged to consider participating in an approved study abroad program. This International Student Scholarship will be awarded via a competitive, merit-based application process. Eligible students must participate in an approved Study Abroad at an institution outside the United States (but not in their home country) for a summer or winter session (granting at least 3 s.h.). $1,000 International Student Scholarship will be available for each summer or winter session.
The University of Iowa is committed to increasing the number of undergraduate students who study/conduct research abroad. UI students are encouraged to step through doors opened by the University to the larger world, to experience other cultures directly.
There are a number of Study Abroad scholarships available to students planning to participate in a semester-length or academic year program.
• Undergraduate, full-time, degree-seeking UI student in good academic standing
• International student (not holding a U.S. passport or U.S. Permanent Resident Card)
• Minimum 3.33 overall cumulative GPA with at least 12 semester hours earned by application deadline
• Application to an approved, academic-credit-granting study abroad program earning at least 3 s.h. but not in student’s home country
Winter 2019-20 – Thursday, October 17, 2019
SELECTION PROCEDURE AND CRITERIA for International Students Scholarship
Applications are reviewed by the Study Abroad Scholarship Committee. The following criteria
- are used in awarding the scholarship:
- academic and personal objectives which are clearly defined and realistic
- academic achievement and preparation
- quality and completeness of the project proposal
- contribution of the study abroad experience to the student’s overall academic program
- evidence of maturity, motivation, and adaptability to a different cultural environment
- demonstrated interest in learning about foreign cultures
How to Apply
Students who meet the requirements listed above are encouraged to apply for this scholarship by completion and submission of the scholarship application and all required attachments by the deadline listed below. Applicants will submit the application, Statement of Proposed Study and Personal Profile essays, two letters of reference from UI professors or UI Teaching assistants, and the unofficial grade report (available from the MyUI Student Portal). Additional details regarding these instructions are available in the application packet. Only the completed application packet (application, two essays, two letters of reference, and unofficial grade report) will be accepted.
Application Form PDF
For more information visit Scholarship webpage for details
Check the deadlines posted on the Study Abroad website (http://international.uiowa.edu/study-abroad/funding). Late applications will not be accepted. Please inform your referees of the deadline.
NOTE: Only complete application packets will be accepted (including Letters of Recommendation)